Friday, September 11, 2009

Open To Art


I have just spent the weekend with close friends in the Yarra Valley for the official launch of the first ever Yarra Valley Open Studios (YVOS for short!).

One of my oldest and closest friends Nicola Stairmand is on the YVOS organising committee. Together we spent the better part of the weekend visiting the studios of some of the incredibly talented sculptors, painters, potters, jewellers and photographers taking part in this first YVOS event.

Given the Yarra Valley location, unsurprisingly almost every artist we visited had been affected by the horrific bushfires of Black Saturday. Some lost houses, some lost friends, everyone was impacted. The trauma of the fires was clearly reflected in many of the artworks we saw. Dramatic. Terrifying. Moving.

I think I saw for the first time that all art tells a story. Whether it's a painting, a piece of music, a performance or a book - all art is trying to communicate or express a feeling or idea to other people. Which is pretty much what we do on a daily basis. Perhaps in not such a visually moving or expressive way as those wonderful YVOS artists but as a storyteller, nonetheless.

While I may never have what it takes to be a 'real' artist, I have to say I was just a bit inspired. I just might even take up Nikki's offer of attending a life drawing class next time I'm in the valley. Who knows? Maybe my inner visual artist will finally have the chance to come out! So until next time, nurture your inner creative - you might surprise yourself!

Oh, and don't forget to head out to Healesville next weekend for YVOS.

Stefani





No comments:

Post a Comment